Baked Custard, Apple & Bread Tarts
Using up apples that are nearing their use by date can sometimes be hard, but with this recipe, you can not only create a rustic looking tart, but they also taste delicious too!
Creating delicious tarts using food that would otherwise go to waste is what we call Re-Pie-Cling!
- 1 Pampas Shortcrust Pastry Sheets
- 2 green apples
- 25g CSR Caster sugar
- 30ml qater
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch clove
- Pinch salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 22g CSR Caster sugar
- 220g cream
- ½ vanilla pod
- 50g bread
- 35g butter
- Pinch salt
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch sugar
- Line 6 x 8cm tart rings (or egg rings) with Pampas Short Crust Pastry. Pre heat your oven to 180°C. Peel the apples, quarter and cut away the core. Slice each quarter into thirds. In a small pot place the water, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and salt. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and place the apples into the pot. Continue to cook over a low heat until the apples are tender.
- In a medium bowl add the yolks, vanilla beans and sugar. Mix until combined and add the cream. Set aside.
- Dice the bread into rough cubes. Melt the butter in a frying pan and when it begins to foam add the bread. On a medium to low heat continue to stir the bread until it is crisp and golden. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Once the bread has cooled chop into smaller pieces, they can be rough and random. In a bowl coat the bread in cinnamon and sugar.
- Remove the tart shells from the freezer, line and fill the tarts with baking paper and baking beads. Bake in the oven for 8 mins, then remove the baking beads and place back into the oven until cooked through and golden. Suggest an alternative to baking beads. Ie. Blind bake with dried beans or rice.
- Turn the oven down to 120 degrees, fill the tarts to the top with the custard (place the tarts in the oven first so you don’t need to lift the tray to the oven to prevent spillages) and bake for 8-10 mins or till there is only a slight wobble to the custard. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Top the tarts with the apple and bread crumbs! Serve.