Hipster Moustache Millefeuille
A quirky starter for your friends! Tip: You can also cut the pastry into small squares instead of a moustache shape, or use another shaped cookie cutter!
- 2 tbs oil
- 100g diced bacon
- 2 large (approx 300g) onions
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 100 ml red wine
- 50 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tbs rosemary, chopped
- 4 sheets Pampas Butter Puff Pastry, partially thawed
- 150g strong blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tsp chopped fresh or dried rosemary
- Heat oil in a large frypan over low heat. Add the bacon and fry until crisp. Take out, leaving the fat in the pan. Set bacon aside.
- Add the onions and a good pinch of salt and cook very slowly for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent them from catching.
- When onions are softened and golden, add sugar, red wine, vinegar and rosemary. Cook onion over low heat for a further 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sticky and caramelised. Stir through bacon then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Lay sheets flat on baking paper and cut out moustache shapes either using a cutter or a small knife. Place two moustaches on top of each other on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until puffed up and golden.
- Cool a little then cut in half lengthways and fill bottom piece with bacon – onion jam and crumbled blue cheese. Top with remaining puff and serve as an entree on a platter or chopping board.