Portuguese Custard Tarts
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
A perfect mid-morning or afternoon snack. Flaky & buttery puff pastry holding golden & creamy custard centre.
- 2 sheets Pampas Butter Puff Pastry, thawed
- ¾ cup cup caster sugar ½ cup water
- ¾ cup cup water
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp White Wings cornflour
- 400ml milk
- Place sugar, water and vanilla pod and seeds in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil and cook for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks and cornflour. Add a little of the milk to form a smooth paste, then add remainder of milk, whisking until smooth and all has been added.
- Gradually add the sugar mixture to milk whilst whisking. Bring to the boil, whilst stirring until thickened. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap to prevent a skin forming. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Pre-heat oven to 240°C (220°C fan-forced). Lightly oil 16, ⅓ cup capacity muffin pans.
- Place one sheet of pastry on top of the other and cut into two even sized rectangles. From the short end, roll each up to form two rolls of pastry. Cut each into 8 even sized pieces.
- Press rounds of pastry into muffin pans coming up the side approx. 2 cm. Spoon chilled custard between pastry shells and bake for 18 minutes until custard is starting to turn golden. Allow to sit for several minutes before removing from pans. Enjoyed best whilst warm.